[tn-bird] Re: Eurasian Collared Doves

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 19:13:29 EST

In a message dated 2/13/02 2:19:31 PM Central Standard Time,
comeback@xxxxxxxx writes:

> Since they are only regularly found in 1-2 areas of the state (Reelfoot
> and Chattanooga that I know of) they should still be considered rare.
> Common would indicate widespread distribution. Even if an uncommon
> status were included, I don't feel they rise to that level yet. Rare but
> regular where found, would be my conclusion.

In Memphis where the first Eurasian Collared-Doves were found and they have
nested every year since 1994, there are at least 5 colonies, (some of
100+birds). In any city or town that has a railroad or grain elevator, from
Memphis to Reelfoot (in at least the counties on the Mississippi River and
more likely those once removed) if you look you will find them. Try
Covington, Collierville, Ripley, Ridgley, Kenton, Union City, Tiptonville,
Brownsville, Millington, Dyersburg, Wynnburg, Milan, Jackson, Gilt Edge,
Rutherford and Proctor City (those are just off the top of my bald head) and
I'm sure many points between. They are Far from RARE over here!

They are an urban species seldom found out in the actual country side and
dominate at feeders. They are fair game for hunters but they stick close to
the grain elevators, railways and city limit signs; the population has little
to fear from the shotgun..........

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA