[tn-bird] Eurasian Collared Doves

  • From: "Troy Ettel" <Troy.Ettel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <TN-BIRD@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:17:01 -0600

TN-Birders:
I would like to receive some comments from some of you on Eurasian collared
doves in Tennessee.  TWRA received a survey from the USFWS requesting
information on collared doves in Tennessee.  Here are some questions I would
like for you all to consider.

One question asks:
1. Would you consider the status of Eurasian collared doves in your state as:
 a) rare; b) common; c) abundant; d) unknown.

I lean towards rare-to-common as they are locally common in some areas, but not
common statewide.

2. Would you consider the distribution of collared doves in your state as:
         a) restricted to certain areas; b) state/province-wide;
         c) captive; d) unknown

I lean towards restricted to certain areas, as they are not yet state-wide.  I
know that they are locally abundant in several areas in Tennessee, especially
in West Tennessee and we are also getting reports of some in the Nashville area
(notably the Lebanon area).  Where they occur, they are also more common to
urban or developed areas and less common in rural areas, right?

3) Has reproduction of Eurasian collared doves been documented in your state?

I presume yes, but has anyone seen any evidence of this?

Troy Ettel
State Ornithologist
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency
P.O. Box 40747