[TN-Bird] Ensley at Noon

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 22:27:25 EDT

June 21, 2003
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN
There were 4 Western Kingbirds at Ensley today and another independent,
immature on President's Island. At the TVA Steam Plant, I watched one pair of
Western Kingbirds chase another kingbird away from their tower. later I watched
another pair on another tower going to and from a location where I had a nest
last year. I don't believe this second pair were feeding young. I ran across
the
immature bird on President's Island while photographing some Eurasian
Collared-Dove immatures. I located 4 Eastern Kingbirds nest scattered around
with one
high on the tower where the first successful Western Kingbird nest for TN was
located some years back.

At Ensley there were more than 20 Black-necked Stilt nests with fuzzy balls
of fluff on short unsure legs staggering around two of the nests. I did not see
the birds from the early nest and I am sure they are flying by now and the
family may have headed south. Three Least Sandpipers have made it back to the
pits. Two Song Sparrows are singing on territory............

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.