[TN-Bird] Ensley - President's Island - Mississippi River

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2009 08:26:44 EDT

Aug. 15-16, 2009
Shelby Co. TN

On Saturday, the Mississippi River produced little other than 31 Least
Terns showing interest in the newly exposed sandbars. Sunday was a little
better  with a few peeps heading south, more Least Sandpipers and a distant
sterna type  tern.

Single Western Kingbirds were seen off of Levee Road and another on
President's Island. These birds waste no time in hanging around after the young

have fledged.

I spent the day with a doctoral student from Fayetteville AR as she GPS
areas and habitat at Ensley. Early in the day there were high numbers of
shorebirds present but it went downhill thereafter with the two immature
Red-tails patrolling as they have since leaving the nest in the eastern tree
line. They were helped by an immature Cooper's Hawk that made periodic low runs

across the levees and flats but the Peregrine made the clean sweeps that
had the  birds disappear from the area for hours at a time.

The changes in habitat and species from last week to this were dramatic
with more scooping and draining, no rain, dry flats. The species reacted as
expected with the loss of all the long-legged Wind Birds and a quick turn
around  in species composition. Last week few Pectoral Sandpipers, this week
they almost  equaled the smaller peeps in quantity but no juvenile birds yet.
Last week lots  of Semipalmated Sandpipers with only a couple of immature,
this week  much lower numbers but the immature birds outnumbered the adults 8
or 10 to one  plus just a single Western Sandpiper in the mix. Finally
among the hordes of  Least Sandpipers a single bright juvenile showed up
Saturday afternoon. We were  down to one Solitary, one flyby Lesser Yellowlegs
that
just called from a great  height Sunday, a single Semipalmated Plover
giving its sweet call and about 8  Spotted Sandpipers. Late Saturday, when the
birds started to filter back in for  feeding, we had nice looks at an adult
Baird's Sandpiper that sported feathering  that showed very little wear.

Throw in the ever growing numbers of Killdeer and the remaining adult
Black-necked Stilts and their late hatching broods we totaled 11 Wind Bird
species for the weekend.

There was evidence of post breeding movement of herons and egrets as lots
of Great Egrets have moved into the sloughs and wet areas in Ensley with 8
immature Little Blues and 3 Snowy Egrets visiting the pits. Everywhere,
young  Green Herons perched up on slim sticks and lurked in the grass.
Good Birding  !!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.