[TN-Bird] Ensley Pits

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 07:27:12 -0400 (EDT)

May 16, 2012
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co, TN

Fourteen species of shorebirds found in 3-1/2 hours in the afternoon. Best
species in the bunch, a single BAIRD'S Sandpiper, lots of Semipalmated
Sandpipers (680 in one mass) a few highly variable Least Sandpipers, only 1
spiffy Black-bellied Plover left of the 3 that had been seen from Saturday
through Monday, Semipalmated Plovers, Killdeer, Black-necked Stilts, Lesser
Yellowlegs, Solitary Sandpiper, 12 Spotted Sandpiper, nice bunch of
White-rumped  Sandpipers in mix, Pectoral Sandpipers, breeding plumaged Dunlin
were
nice  as always, and Stilt Sandpipers.

Breeders, lots of paired Black-bellied Whistlers, broods of Mallards, Wood
Ducks, Black-necked Stilt young were first of season with dozens of active
nests, Killdeer youngsters and a Song Sparrow carrying food, plus at least
4 pair of Bobwhite walking the roads.

A Kestrel took a Least Sandpiper from in front of me and proceed to pluck
it from the top of a parked crane plus a few Mississippi Kites circling
above  kept birds alert.

Jeff R.  Wilson / TLBA
6300 Memphis-Arlington Rd.
Bartlett, TN. 38135
_http://WWW.pbase.com/ol_coot/_ (http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/)

What  is this feathered thing that lifts my heart to the  heavens.