[TN-Bird] Ensley PM

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Aug 2005 21:37:58 EDT

Aug. 6, 2005
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

This afternoon the rain came down in buckets and trees lost limbs and
leaves. During the storm, I located my bird again and was able to see more
details
but no better photos. The ID points all add up to Little Stint, an adult
molting to basic. The red throat has started to molt but really is very
different
than anything the other species present show. Head on the bird is  pretty
smart looking and makes for a striking bird. The long legs, wing and  primary
extension, white throat, bill shape and size, bird is slightly  larger and
longer
than the Least Sandpipers it was with but smaller not as bulky  or chopped of
like  Semipalmated Sandpipers which were nearby.

Hopefully, this bird will stick around for others to see. This makes the
third for Ensley, a juvenile a long time ago and another adult just a few years

back. There seemed to be a few more birds around this afternoon but they
generally group up during a rain, I did not see any oversized birds in the
short
time I had but would not have been surprised to have had a few drop in.

Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett,  TN