[TN-Bird] Ensley Experience

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 22:53:27 EDT

Sept. 5, 2004
Ensley Bottoms
Shelby Co. TN

I forgot to mention the 45 American White Pelicans that soared over Ensley
going NORTH on Saturday. I saw no sign of them today but did have a Black Tern
plus we watched an Osprey, Mississippi Kites, Red-tailed Hawks and multiple
Cooper's heading south.

There was a big turnover in shorebirds at the pits over night. We were down
to only 14 species today with a big decrease in Stilt Sandpipers (only 1),
Lesser Yellowlegs, Semipalmated and Western Sandpipers but a big jump from 1
Baird's Sandpiper to at least 8, we had 7 in view at one time. Saturday's
Buff-breasted was searched for all day but to no avail. The immature Wilson's
Phalarope
was still a single and was found all over the pits at different times for
different birders but it still only made the count as 1.

After everything settled down this afternoon, I started to count and age the
birds present. The numbers of immature Least Sandpipers grow from day to day
but the percentage compared to other years is still low. Pectoral Sandpiper
immatures today totaled only 2; this species has experience a devastating
nesting
season, now we can only hope that next year is better.

We still have had a stellar year for Western Sandpipers and an about average
year for Semipalmated Sandpipers, both adults and immatures. We detailed lots
of Westerns in molting adult, full basic adult, juvenile and molting juvenile
plumages; it was a great day to study the numerous variations in plumages and
colors that can be seen in that species at this time of the year. All the
Baird's Sandpipers except one were in stunning immature plumages and shone
brightly in the sun. All but two Semipalmated Plovers were in immature plumage
and
the single Stilt Sandpiper was also a handsome juvenile.

One of the most impressive counts of the day was the over 50 Mockingbirds
seen almost at every turn with 22 counted at just one location.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN