[TN-Bird] Elizabethton Yellow-crowned Night Herons

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 21:41:29 EDT
     SUN 10 APR 2005, around 8 am I saw a pair of Yellow-crowned Night-Herons
fly to the known nest site at Sycamore Shoals State Historic Area in
Elizabethton, Carter Co., TN.  I was surprised to see the nest site already
held its
two occupants.  The  four birds shared the tree for a few minutes before the
resident male (the one not on the nest, anyway)  slowly walked out some limbs
toward one of the newcomers, at which the newcomers left together heading
generally downstream toward the Sycamore Shoals on the Watauga River.
     From there I went upstream about a mile to the Greenbelt Walkway near
the old North American Rayon Plant.  At the memorial bench overlooking the
shoals there I saw two more Yellow-crowned Night-Herons that left and returned
several times, always leaving along a similar flight path into the woods and
turning right.  Later that day I was joined by Rob Biller and Dianne Draper.
We
drove to the other side of the river to investigate.  Walking into the woods
off
of Sycamore Shoals Drive onto city property we found a few apparent
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron nests, and sighted the two Yellow-crowned
Night-herons in
the woods nearby.  We also saw a pair of Pileated Woodpeckers entering their
nest, and two Red-shouldered Hawks that flew off calling loudly.
     I returned the next morning, MON 11 APR 2005, and saw one Yellow-crowned
Night-Heron adding sticks to one of the nests while a second bird sat in an
adjacent tree.  A third flew into the adjacent tree only to be rebuffed by the
original occupant.  I later saw a single bird some distance through the woods
apparently gathering a twig.
     I had hoped to also observe the Red-shouldered Hawks again, but didn't.
Red-shouldered Hawks are uncommon in our local area, but several sightings
have been made at this particular site over the last couple of years, (by
myself
and Tom McNeil, at least).  There is also at least one resident Blue Jay that
frequently mimics the Red-shouldereds.
     I also observed a male and a female Wood Duck flying through the woods
and landing in the tree branches.  I saw the female several times through the
morning.  There are a number of natural tree holes throughout those woods.

     Later in the afternoon I also went to Sullivan Co. with Rob Biller where
we observed at least two pairs of Green Herons at the known heronry at the
Painter Creek embayment on South Holston Lake.  There were probably more, but I
was too busy dodging traffic to search properly.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN