[TN-Bird] Easter Weekend Birding

  • From: ahoodedwarbler@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 09:45:02 -0400

I had some spring arrivals over the extended Easter weekend at home on
Simerly Creek Road, Hampton, TN.

On Good Friday, an Osprey made a leisurely flyover. This is the first
"yard" Osprey I have recorded in several years. I also had a pair of
Hairy Woodpeckers raising a ruckus.

On Saturday, April 11, a pair of Brown Thrashers cavorted through the
yard, visiting several different thickets and even the feeders.
Although not new arrivals, Blue-gray Gnatcatchers and Ruby-crowned
Kinglets flitted about in the willows.

Also on Saturday, I made a brief stop at Erwin Fishery Park in Erwin,
Unicoi Co., TN. There was a single female Hooded Merganser on the pond
and three swallows (Barn, Tree and N. Rough-winged) skimmed over the
pond's surface. While walking around the park's wetland area, I came
across a remarkable flock of 10 to 12 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers mixed with
Yellow-rumped Warblers, Carolina Chickadees and Tufted Titmice. This is
the most gnatcatchers I have ever observed at the same time. There were
indeed plenty of gnats present also, so I am sure they were finding
plenty of food in the wetland area.

I didn't actually record any new arrivals on Easter Sunday, but enjoyed
looks at many American Robins and also some male American Goldfinches
who are looking their very best right now.

Bryan Stevens,
Hampton, TN

                       MAP RESOURCES