[tn-bird] Early Shorebird Dates-West TN

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 07:57:26 EDT

July 6-7, 2002
Island 13
Lake Co. TN

Magic "13" worked again; Saturday afternoon in oven bake heat, I found a few
Killdeer and 3 Least Sandpipers shimmering (or that could be simmering) on
Island 13. The pools look good but I'm afraid they are still elevated and
will probably dry too fast to be real good if the river gets low.

I saw a head drifting along behind a rise in one pool and when investigated
it turned out to be a Willet. This is about 10 days early by my personal
records but they have shown up as early as July 3rd elsewhere in the state.
As I watched it work, probing along the waters edge another large bird caught
my eye much farther off strolling away from me across the sand. I assumed it
was another Willet and it quickly disappeared in the rolling terrain. There
are usually hidden pools that you can't see so I didn't think much about this
second bird and I was not going to push my luck with the heat which now had
every stitch of clothing on me wringing wet.

After about 45 minutes the bird appeared again but hundreds of yards away
from the first sighting. This time it was quartering and I could make out
that the bird was much too dark for a normal western Willet. Trying to keep
up with this power walker was hard as it would disappear and reappear after
long minutes. The afternoon sun is always in your face but my mind kept
thinking about how Whimbrel are always walking and disappearing like this
bird. Soon the bird had walked far enough north that I had better lighting
and finally it turned so I could see the bill. Whimbrel for sure and this
bird was 2 weeks earlier than my previous early record of two birds at Ensley
Bottoms years before.

I left the island and when I got a good signal called Nancy Moore. She and
Ken Leggett were able to find both birds in the late afternoon and I returned
Sunday morning and after much searching found only the Whimbrel on the very
north end of Island 13 using the north entrance to access that area. The only
other bird of interest seen at this location was a single Ring-billed Gull
flying the river.

Over the weekend I found 3 Lesser Yellowlegs at Ensley Bottoms in Memphis,
one each along the Great River Road in Dyer Co.and on the north side of
Phillippy in Lake Co. Least Sandpipers were seen in Shelby, Dyer and Lake
Counties with the high number at one location only 5 birds.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.