[TN-Bird] Eagle flew & r-b nuthatches a-plenty + yard notes!

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 12:38:18 EST

Hello Birders,
Have been sort of under-the-weather and unable to post much here in the
Charlotte Park area of West Nashville near the old Cleece's Ferry site about 4
blocks from the Cumberland River in Davidson County.

Yesterday morning, one of the adult bald eagles was flying from the area
above the Cleece's Ferry area toward the Southeast when I stepped out on my
front
stoop to take the garbage out around 7 AM.

A red-bellied woodpercker came by again for the first time since our
Christmas snow.  He took some sunflower seed from the deck, then flew up into a
dead
tree.  I saw him fly back this way, then go down low and out of sight.  A
moment later, I went to the sink to run some water, and there he was on the
feeder
stand gobbling down the apple and peanut butter.  When he dropped low, he
obviously went through the carport which is under my deck and came up on the
other
end for the PB upon which he feasted for quite a while.

After having not seen my sapsucker for three days, he is back pecking away at
the now-polka-dotted trunks of the holly outside my bedroom window. In its
absence, I saw cardinals, robins, blue jays, a white throated sparrow,
chickadees, titmice and even ONE junco making passes at the sap holes the
sapsucker had
put into the tree trunk.

A little after 7 AM today, I had a flock of at least 7 red breasted
nuthatches in the trees in my back yard.  It seemed like nuthatch Heaven there
for a
while, but they aren't there now.  I cannot recall having ever seen that many
red-breasteds at one time before although I may very well have done so in all
my
rambling around over the years.

Cheers & prayers,

Dee Thompson