[TN-Bird] Eagle Lake Refuge access issues

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 14:20:28 +0000

As an FYI about access to Eagle Lake Refuge, Shelby Co.

The gate is closed as a response to continued illegal activities on the refuge.
 There have been continued problems with people making meth in the observation
tower, vandalism of property, and extensive theft of property and equipment.
Signs are stolen, replaced, and almost immediately stolen again.  We are also
short on personnel at times in that area.

The gate will be open starting 31 March for spring turkey season and will
hopefully be open through spring and summer (hopefully).  You can park at the
gate (not blocking the gate, of course) and walk down the bluff into the refuge.

Repairs are planned for the observation tower (including a paint job) for this
summer.

If you have any other questions about access, please let me know.

Thanks,

Scott Somershoe

From: "vbreynolds@xxxxxxx<mailto:vbreynolds@xxxxxxx>"
<vbreynolds@xxxxxxx<mailto:vbreynolds@xxxxxxx>>

Subject: [TN-Bird] Eagle Lake Refuge

Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 12:50:54 -0500

Yesterday (3/16) after walking Island 40 Road, I decided to go to Eagle Lake.
It was as if the  refuge had been wiped off the map; all signs to the refuge
had been removed and the gate at the top of the bluff was closed and locked .
No signs were posted at the locked entrance. I had been there in late February
and the refuge was open to the turnaround at the bottom of the bluff. Of
course, even then it has been open beyond the turnaround to allow access to
hunting lands on designated hunting days. This action is typical of TWRA
District One and its complete disregard for those who wish to  use of its lands
for non-hunting recreation. I have asked around and no one  could tell me why.
From past experiences of trying to deal with District One, calling the office
in Jackson is a complete waste of time. They have never bothered to even answer
any inquiries.  I'm sure Ducks Unlimited who built the observation tower would
like to know what is going on. This area has always been a p  roductive spot to
view migrating shorebirds. I'm very sad and disappointed.

Virginia Reynolds

Memphis

Shelby County

State Ornithologist