[TN-Bird] Eagle Bend hatchery field trip for KTOS

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2011 20:22:37 -0400

TN-birders,

It was a cold and stormy night........no, scratch that. It was a cold and windy
morning at the Eagle Bend fish hatchery in Anderson County for the Knoxville
chapter TOS field trip. 8 brave souls joined Dollyann and me to see what Eagle
Bend had to offer up. As it turned out, not a whole lot. The wind kept any
warblers hidden in the vegetation along the river, allowing us only a couple of
Palm Warblers. Some migration was in evidence as we had about 15 Chimney Swifts
flying overhead and there was a flock of about 25 Tree Swallows flying over one
of the grassy fields. Dollyann and I have been going out there pretty regularly
lately and we have not see any Tree Swallows for the past 3-4 weeks. A
Rose-breasted Grosbeak was an unusual find also. We did find and American Coot
and 5 Green-winged Teal, both of which were first of the fall season sightings
for Dollyann and me. A couple of Spotted Sandpipers were the only shorebirds we
had, other than about 25 Killdeer. A lone Great Egret was found. This bird has
been out here for the past 4-6 weeks. 2 Blue-winged Teal, 3 Double-crested
Cormorants, a Northern Flicker, and about 13 Eastern Meadowlarks rounded out
most of the other birds we found this morning.

After about 1.5 hours, we went to McDonald's for a quick coffee break before
going out to the songbird trail below Norris Dam for another 1.5 hours. The
wind kept blowing and it was tough birding there as well, but we did manage to
find another first of the fall season for me, a Yellow-rumped Warbler. A couple
of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks were nice finds, along with Gray Catbird and Brown
Thrasher. A Magnolia and a Black-and-white warbler were the only warblers we
found there.

All in all, it's always great to be out birding and sharing the birds and
nature with like-minded folks. Unfortunately it turned out to be a rather slim
pickings day.

Great birding,

Ron Hoff and Dollyann Myers
Clinton, TN