[TN-Bird] Eagle Bend Least Tern (Anderson Co.)-8/21

  • From: "Shane H. Williams" <shanehwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2009 22:46:25 -0400

Stan Wallace and I also visited Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery today from
~10:45-12:15. We also spotted the LEAST TERN. It was at the 2nd row of ponds on
the left - 2nd pond from the river. We got a scope on it as it was sitting on
the tan-colored pond liner. It had 2 leg bands on its left leg, one longer band
on the right. After consulting 3 field guides we decided the 1st summer Least
Tern in the National Geographic guide fit well. It was smaller than a nearby
Killdeer, had a continuous black streak from the eye to the back of head,
mottled rear crown, mottled gray back, black legs, black line along shoulder,
short tail. In flight had black leading edge of wings and the wings were not
smooth gray of Black Tern but more contrasting. It flew off toward the entrance
before we lost it. This was a lifer for Stan and 1st for TN for me. Would have
been nice to get a Black Tern though. Semipalmated Sandpiper and Plover were
seen around the same pond as the tern. Most ducks were in the ponds adjacent to
the river.
Least Tern - 1 juv.
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 2
Semipalmated Plover - 1