[TN-Bird] Eagle Bend Forster's Tern - 8/26

  • From: "Shane H. Williams" <shanehwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Bird List" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 17:05:32 -0400

Yesterday, 8/26 I visited eagle Bend Fish Hatchery (Anderson Co.) from 12:50 to
1:40. I spotted what i'm fairly sure was a Forster's Tern at the end of one of
the long narrow ponds to the right of the road. Legs orangy-red, beak mostly
blackish with orange at base of lower beak, breast white, back and wings light
gray w/ primaries slightly darker. The head looked more like my field guide's
winter Common Tern w/ black nape and rear crown w/ speckling of front crown.
When I drove to the upper pond the tern began flying around the narrow ponds
and plunge-diving for ~10 minutes. In flight the primaries did seem lighter
than the rest of wings and back. The head caused some confusion for me but I
guess the lighter primaries make it Forster's. I also read in another guide
when I got home that Common Tern molts later in the year. It returned to it's
original spot just before I left. A Great Egret was in the rear right pond as
well and 3 Green Herons were seen.

Shane Williams - Knoxville, TN

               Assistant Moderator Chris O'Bryan
                        Clarksville, TN