[TN-Bird] Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery- Buff-breasted Sandpipers

  • From: "Allan Trently" <ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:34:16 -0400

While surveying Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery in Clinton, Anderson County, TN (off of Route 61 just after 61 crosses the Clinch River if going west) today (Aug 19, 2005) between 7:35 am and 8:38 am I saw the following birds (not a complete list):

1. Buff-breasted Sandpipers- 2 (one BBSA was seen on Aug 17- it flew out of the area)
2. Killdeer- +- 62
3. Great Egret- 1
4. Pectoral Sandpipers- 5
5. Least Sandpipers- 5 (they all had a gray coating of mud on their legs making the legs look dark.
I did see yellow in the legs, plus the plumage was that of immature leasts)
6. Black-crowned Night-Herons- 3 (all immatures)
7. Spotted Sandpiper- 2
8. Purple Martins- at least 10

Most of the ponds in the hatchery are either dry and vegetated (since we had rain, they are slightly wet, but fully vegetated providing limited habitat for shorebirds), or lined ponds filled with water (these ponds you will typically find spotted sandpipers and killdeer). The large lined pond on top of the hill (not the first pond on the hill but the largest pond in the highest spot in the hatchery) has been drained. What is left is a "pond" full of aquatic vegetation, mud and pockets of water. This is the area where I seen most of the birds listed (both buff-breasted, all leasts, all pectorals).

Allan Trently
Norris, Anderson County, TN
ajtcorax@xxxxxxxxxxx

TN-Bird Net is owned by the Tennessee Ornithological Society Neither the society(TOS) nor its moderator(s)