[tn-bird] Re: E. Wood-Pewee

  • From: "TH Cumbie" <thcumbie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 12:36:21 -0400

I have researched several bird books and the only info,  I have found so far,
for the nesting of the Eastern Wood Pewee is Eloise Potter et al., Birds of the
Carolinas.. this indicates, "Eggs are laid from late May through early July.  A
second clutch tends to contain fewer eggs than the first.  Incubation takes
about 13 days, and the young leave the nest when about 16 days of age".

Now if I am interpreting this info correctly, about 30 days after the eggs are
laid the young leave the nest.  And wouldn't this put the early July  nesting
into August???  Anna, what happened to all these wild full of info cowboys with
in the field observations?  Has no one observed a viable August nesting of EW
Pee Wees????  Wouldn't car washes and watering holes have woods nearby?

Tess
Buladean, NC