[TN-Bird] Dutch Bottoms - 14 shorebird spp

  • From: "michael sledjeski" <mtnsylva@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, doneil@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 00:29:21 -0400

Douglas Lake (@964.9'), Cocke & Jefferson counties, 8/20/07
Dutch Bottoms & Ten Islands, by canoe, 4:30 - 8:00

Since the prime mudflats at Dutch Bottoms will soon be accessible by land -
i.e., ATV rampaging- we decided we should go out to see what had flown in.
We were rewarded with closeup looks at piping plover, willett, dowitcher,
and ruddy turnstones (photos available) and good numbers of several
sandpiper species.

At about 7:00 a fair warm wind rose out of the west and Leslie fashioned a
sail from a shirt and a paddle; the breeze blew us 2 miles upriver to Ten
Islands.  We watched great egrets in loose flocks cruising to roost near
Leadvale, and late stragglers flew against the sunset sky as we motored back
to Walters Bridge.

Shorebirds seen:
Black-bellied plover (molting adult)
Semipalmated plover (7)
PIPING PLOVER (juv.)
Killdeer (145)
Greater yellowlegs
Lesser yellowlegs (8)
WILLETT (juv., western subspecies, according to Sibley)
Spotted sandpiper
RUDDY TURNSTONE (2, crisp breeding plumage)
Semipalmated sandpiper (about a dozen)
Western sandpiper (8)
Least sandpiper (112)
Pectoral sandpiper (88)