[TN-Bird] Duck River Unit this a.m.

  • From: Chad Smith <kingbird09@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 15:11:53 -0500

Terry Witt and I birded Duck River in Humphreys Co this morning.  There were
many waders, but mostly GB Herons and Great Egrets.  One Little Blue Heron and
one Green Heron seen.  A group of about 25 Cattle Egrets were in a field near
the refuge gate.  Soras were still present on the loop drive.  Shorebirds
present were: Solitary, Stilt, and Spotted Sandpipers, one Willet, both
yellowlegs, and quite a few dowitchers on the flats in the river.  Several
pairs of Blue Grosbeaks were along the main road.  Few migrant warblers were
around, with Tennessee and Blackpoll being the only ones I remember.  Bobolinks
were in a few fields toward the end of the road.  Dickcissels seemed to be
everywhere.  Lastly, we had a couple of flycatchers: Acadian, and a Least that
called a few times near the little pull-off where we scoped the river.No
Black-bellied Plovers found, and not a single shorebird found on the muddy
banks in the NE area of the refuge. Chad Smith Murfreesboro, TN