[TN-Bird] Duck River Bottoms

  • From: "Cyndi Routledge" <routledges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 16:27:17 -0500

Duck River Bottoms
Humphrey's County, TN
Just back from a cold, rainy and windy adventure to the Bottoms.  It was our
first trip back since the refuge gates were reopened on 15 March and to spite
the weather we were determined to check it out.
We saw 45 species and one "mystery" Accipiter we are all but ready to "call" an
Immature Northern Goshawk.   (Steve has been pouring through our field guides
since we got home...)
Waterfowl numbers are way down as one might imagine.  Abundant were Great Blue
Herons, Red-Winged Blackbirds,  American Coots,  Northern Flickers, Immature
Bald Eagles,  Hooded Mergansers and Northern Shovelers.
Other species seen were:
Pied-billed Grebes
DC Cormorants
Bufflehead
Lesser Scaup
Ring-necked Ducks
Wood Duck
Gadwall
Common Goldeneye
Canada Geese
Mallard
Blue-winged Teal
Peregrine Falcon
Immature Red-Shouldered Hawk
American Kestrel
Black Vulture
Turkey Vulture
Killdeer
Ring-billed Gull
Mourning Dove
Belted Kingfisher
N. Rough-winged Swallow
American Crow
Blue Jay
Carolina Chickadee
Carolina Wren
Eastern Bluebirds
American Robins
Northern Mockingbirds
Starlings
Yellow-rumped Warblers
Cardinals
Chipping Sparrow
Savannah Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
Eastern Towhee
Grackle
Eastern Meadowlark

Pretty good to spite the weather!!  Spring has indeed sprung.  Now all we need
is some warmth and sunshine!
Happy birding and have a great week.

Steve and Cyndi Routledge
Clarksville, Montgomery County, TN

Unless someone like you
cares a whole awful lot,
nothing is going to get better. It's not.
                         -The Lorax, by Dr. Seuss