[TN-Bird] Re: "Drink your tea"+ a woodcock report

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: muise@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 14:59:23 EST

Hello again from the Charlotte Park section of West Nashville about four
blocks east of the old Cleece's Ferry landing & present boat ramp on the
Cumberland River.

In my yard this morning, all my spring birds were singing!  They ARE ready
for spring.  They're eating up a storm--getting ready for all the excitement of
and energy needed for courtship, nest building and raising young.  Mercy
sakes, how much peanut butter can my mockers and other birds absorb, not to
mention
all that bird seed, yellow cake, oranges, apples and grape jelly!

Sorry to be so late in posting this, but I've been "run ragged busy" all
week.  On Tuesday morning at approximately 6:15, I was driving on Ranchero
Avenue
(street, whatever ?) before going to the polls where I was to work as a
precinct registrar ALL DAY.  My lights beamed upon two birds right in the
middle of
the street seemingly getting ready for a "face off."  As I got real close, I
saw that the birds were woodcocks with all the markings in perfect view.  Of
course, they froze in my headlights, so, after I'd made sure who they were, I
cut the lights and they flew off toward the rural hinterlands of Bell's Bend a
couple of blocks and the Cumberland River away.  Fellow birders and I have seen
woodcocks do these "face offs" on roadways in the Kissimmee Prairie in
Florida on several occasions and once on the street beside a marshy-grassy area
in
Scarsdale, N.Y.

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN