[TN-Bird] Drakes Creek (Sumner Co.) Probable Great black-backed Gull

  • From: Michael Smith <ms722@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 08:00:57 -0800

After some nagging doubts about the bird that I found at Mallard Point Park in
Hendersonville a couple of days ago (and that I originally concluded was a
Lesser black-backed Gull), it now seems clear after consulting with Chris Sloan
and Mike Todd that we are dealing with a Great black-backed instead.  I
observed the bird again this morning out on the ice mingling with several
hundred Ring-bills and two Herrings, and it is an absolute monster compared to
the Ringers and noticeably larger than the two Herring Gulls as well.  I
observed it feeding on a fish, and there was a definite pecking order...the big
guy fed on the fish while the two Herring gulls waited their turn.  When he
finished the Herrings moved in and when they were done, the Ring-bills fought
over the scraps.  The bird has a very large, thick bill with a pink base and
pronounced gonydeal angle (even at a distance).  The reason I'm saying
"Probable", is because this is NOT a classic
 first-cycle bird...it does not have the scaly black-and-white back pattern
typical of first-cycle GBBG's, and instead it has a warmer, chocolate brown
back (although I realize this can vary).  The best way I would describe it is
that structurally, it looks like an obvious GBBG, but with plumage
characteristics that suggest an aberrant individual or perhaps some mixed
lineage.  Definitely a neat bird, I would certainly welcome other opinions if
anyone has seen the bird or has pictures.

P.S. It is entirely possible (and even likely), that there may also be a
first-cycle Lesser black-backed along Drakes Creek as well (we had an adult LBB
on the CBC), which would explain what other observers have seen.

For anyone interested, Mallard Point Park is on Sanders Ferry Rd, about 1.3
miles south of Hwy 31E (Main St) in Hendersonville (36.2898, -86.6085).

Mike Smith
Hendersonville, TN