[TN-Bird] Downy whoops Hairy

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 09:00:24 -0500 (EST)

Had a pretty decent morning of birding in the yard this AM
(Tues, 7 Feb 2006; Knox Co) with 24 species in about 30 min
before work while walking the dogs and such.  That includes
6 woodpecker species... all the expected species except
Red-headed.

Hairy WPs have been fairly regular in our yard and was actually
one of the first birds on the yard list making it before we
even bought the house... that and the Pileated that flew in
to a roost hole while we were looking at the house were good
selling points.  This winter though they have been a bit more
scarce.  The male I had this morning is my first for the yard
in 2006.  And maybe that has something to do with the reception
he got from one of our Downy WPs.

The Hairy flew in to what is apparently a prime feeding spot
on one of our Blackgum trees and started to peck away only to
have a male Downy swoop in at Accipiter speed and tackle him.
They tumbled down through the air a few feet belly-to-belly
like mating raptors before letting go.  The Hairy flew off
and the Downy went back to claim the feeding spot.  Chalk one
up to the small but scrappy.  Anyone ever seen such behavior?

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN