[TN-Bird] Dowitchers/ 9 Species of Shorebirds/ Clinton, TN

  • From: James M Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 22:50:23 -0400

At 2: 30- 2:45 today at Eagle Bend Fish Hatchery in Clinton, TN
(Anderson County)
I observed several species of shorebirds in the back pond on the right.
This was the only drained pond with any water left in it, and the birds
were
congregated in this area. I was very excited to find 4  DOWITCHERS here,
but
as soon as I got my scope out, and started to walk  around the pond for
better lighting, a severe storm hit with heavy rains!  I was quite
disappointed I was not able to identify these as to Long -Billed or
Short- Billed under the conditions.  ( My first impression was
Long-Billed, but I just did not have good enough observation to decide)
I even jumped up and down in the rain
(bet that was a sight)   hoping they would fly and vocalize, but they
just sat down on the mud flat and looked at me like I was an idiot! I
felt like one too- a soaked one, but they sure were fun to see even if
only briefly. When I came back after the storm, the gate was locked, so
no more looking today.

Also present in the area and seen briefly before the storm hit-
1            Semipalmated Plover
17        Least Sandpipers
12         Western SP
1          Solitary SP
1          Lesser Yellowlegs
3          Pectoral SP
3           Spotted SP
2 + Killdeer
Maybe the rains will put more water in the drained ponds and bring in
more birds.

(Hope this posts. My computer has been out several days)

Nell Moore
Caryville, Tn