[TN-Bird] Re: Disturbing Whooping Cranes with gunfire

  • From: Dan Furbish <peterbilt.birder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 13:59:26 -0800 (PST)

: )
    I know for a fact Barred Owl tastes just like Ring necked Pheasant and
young rabbit: ) yum!
Many moons ago a neighbor shot a Barred owl (this is back in the day.....35
years ago
or so in Massachusetts) that used to hoot right outside their kitchen window
every evening.
I witnessed the dead owl, and even helped de-feather it and clean it (we used
to hunt rabbit
all the time as kids and our parents and us kids later in life would cook them
up as dinner)
Rabbit is gooood eating.
Well the Barred owl tasted about like rabbit but tastier. We used to hunt
game-birds and duck weekly,
Wood ducks weren't all that tasty as I remember but Blue-winged and
Green-winged teal were the favorite!
There's an old hunters recipe about eating sea ducks: boil cleaned and
de-feather sea duck and a softball
sized rock in
a 5 gallon pot of water for 24 hours, after which...throw out the duck and eat
the rock ; )

Barred owl also tastes just like RN Pheasant, but a bit grainier.

PS: wouldn't ya all think gunfire would spook all birds, not just whoopers?
To prove this, the next time a flock
of crow flies over you, clap your hands and watch them scatter.

I bet Eskimos know what Snowies taste like. I bet they taste about the same as
Barred owl.

Dan Furbish
Truckin' thru 5 southern states in a big rig: )
peterbilt.birder@xxxxxxxxx