[TN-Bird] Discovery Drive Retention ponds-Sparrows!!!

  • From: Nicholas Siler <nicksiler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2014 10:10:40 -0500

Here is my ebird checklist from yesterday evening. I plan on going at
sunrise tomorrow if anyone would like to join. I will be there in the
gravel (dirt-mound filled) lot at 7:00am. I only have an hour, but I
imagine that will be sufficient.

Discovery Drive Retention Ponds
Protocol: Traveling
2 Kilometers
45 Minutes
Observers: 1
All birds reported? Yes
Comments: I am sure there were more species, but I got caught up in
watching and IDing the copious sparrows.

    20    Canada Goose
    4    Wood Duck
    3    Mallard
    1    Great Blue Heron
    1    American Woodcock    Did not see. Heard distinctive "peent."
    5    Mourning Dove
    1    American Kestrel    Perched on power lines.
    3    American Crow
    2    Carolina Wren
    1    Palm Warbler
    1    American Tree Sparrow    In field across from man made stream. E
of Disco. Dr. Medium sized sparrow. Light was dimming at 5:30. Clearly
visible central breast spot on otherwise clean breast. Flanks were
yellow-tan tinged (winter plumage).Dark eyeline and crown. I was unable to
determine the mandible color as lighting was not conducive. Bright white
wing bars. Appeared larger in size than chipping sparrow.
    30    Field Sparrow
    1    Vesper Sparrow
    2    Savannah Sparrow
    30    Song Sparrow