[TN-Bird] Directions to Ensley Bottoms

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: jlandrum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 18:48:13 EDT

Jim and other interested parties,

I answered Jim off line but thought I might give these directions as an
alternate to the old route we all used for years. It is a direct and more
scenic
route to the area through great habitat. These are the directions  to the
lagoons that I wrote for the ABA - Travelers Guide to US Cities for  Memphis.
The
area is much more than the lagoons as the habitat ranges from the  wooded
bluff to open fields and in a 5 mile circle centered on the TVA smoke  stacks
I've
recorded 305 species and know of 3 more species that others have  recorded. I
don't think that diversity in species in such a small area can be  duplicated
in many places away from the coast.

Over the years birders have enjoyed a great relationship with the  plant
manager and employees and even though you will see signs restricting  entrance
at
the lagoon area, birders are welcome. Be sure NOT to block roadways  and
immediately give way to the trucks going to and from the spread fields or  any
other mechanized equipment.

At the TVA Plant, they are very security conscious due to the present world
conditions so you might be approached and asked for ID if you stop in front
of the plant looking for Western Kingbirds. I would be glad to answer any
questions about the area or particular birds off line.

Enjoy!!!

Directions:  Coming from the north or south take exit  nine (Mallory exit)
off I-55, and go east on Mallory one block and then right or  south on
Riverport
Road. Proceed for 4 miles to Plant Road, you will pass the  signs for T. O.
Fuller State Park and Chucalissa Indian Village, remember those  for later.
Take a right on Plant Road and this will take you past the TVA Lake  and Allen
Steam Plant and straight into the parking lot of T. E. Maxson Waste  Water
Treatment Plant. Here you can check for information on prevailing  restrictions
or
conditions. Reverse your course and when you get back to  Riverport go
straight across and proceed south past the drying and maintenance  buildings to
the
lagoons.

Good  Birding!!!
Jeff R. Wilson