[TN-Bird] Dickson Co birds (late post)

  • From: "Scott Somershoe" <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 12:14:46 -0500

After problems with my email account and TN-Bird, I'm finally getting this
posted from birding on Sunday, April 5th:

My wife and I kayaked part of Cheatham Lake in Dickson county, upstream a
couple miles from Cheatham Dam, Sunday morning.  Bunch of migrants, including
Yellow-throated Warbler, Louisiana Waterthrush, Prothonotary Warbler, Northern
Parula, lots of Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, one Broad-winged Hawk circling and
calling, and one Great Egret.  Saw 15-20 Black-crowned Night-herons along the
river bank and in a back creek just up from Cheatham Dam and opposite Lock A
campground.

Lots of wildflowers on the banks of the lake.  Zebra Swallowtails were numerous!

One black-crowned night-heron flew low over the river and landed on the water
surface and sat there like a gull.  It sat there 5-10 seconds and flew as a
bass boat went by.  Weird sitting on the water.

Upon getting back to Smyrna, TN, the first Chimney Swifts of the year flew over
the house.

The young Great Horned Owls in the nest behind our house are starting to get
brown feathers to them.  Both like to sit up in the nest and look around.

Cheers,
Scott

State Ornithologist
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency