[TN-Bird] Dickcissels but few Sc.-T. Flycatchers in Sequatchie Valley

  • From: "LeGrand Family" <elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 12:11:25 -0500

On Sunday, June 21, Steve Stedman and I spent over 7 hours checking the
upper Sequatchie Valley (Bledsoe and Cumberland Counties) for Scissor-tailed
Flycatchers. We could only find scissor-tails (1 adult and 3 fledglings) at
the usual breeding site on Ninemile Road just east of Old Hwy. 28, where
they were reported last week by Harold Birch. This contrasts with last July
1, 2008 when we found scissor-tails in 5 locations (9 adults, plus 1
juvenile and 5 fledglings), all in Bledsoe County.

On the other hand, Dickcissels were notable in their numbers, with 10 birds
(8 singing males and two presumed mates) found. These were all in Bledsoe
County, both north and south of Pikeville. The easiest spot to find them
would be at Oxier Hollow Road near East Valley Rd. (a pair along the road)
and a few hundred yards away at Melvin(e) Crossroad near East Valley Rd.
(singing male beside the road). Last year on July 1 the only Dickcissels we
found was a pair at Melvin(e) Crossroad near East Valley Rd.

Other notably common birds were Grasshopper Sparrow (17 individuals) and
Blue Grosbeaks (18 inidviduals).

We've never found either Scissor-tailed Flycatchers or Dickcissels in the
small part of the Sequatchie Valley in Cumberland County.

-Ed LeGrand
Cumberland County

                       MAP RESOURCES