[TN-Bird] Dickcissel pair with nest evidence in Cumberland County, July 3-4 2010

  • From: "LeGrand Family" <elegrand@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 09:52:35 -0500

Following up on the July 1 observation of a male Dickcissel in Cumberland
County (see below), I went back yesterday and today (July 3 & 4) and found a
female Dickcissel with the male and watched as she carried food to the
presumed nest site. Twice today I could see her leaving the site with a
fecal sac.

I spent over an hour and a half each morning watching. The female was rarely
visible (usually just seen in flight between visits to and from the nest).
The male was visible most of the time, perched on ironweeds that were taller
than the uncut fescue. He called every few seconds for much of the time that
he was perched (I suspect to reassure the female, which didn't have a good
view of her surroundings down in the grass), and he only rarely sang.
Occasionally he would follow her on her forays, tending to stay visible and
calling frequently.

I avoided trying to find the nest. I'm a bit concerned that the mowing
operation may come before the nesting is complete. All of the adjacent
hayfields have been cut several weeks ago.

Ed LeGrand
Crossville, Cumberland Co.