[TN-Bird] Dark Ibis, Chattanooga

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 18:43:15 +0000

A birder on the Tennessee Birding Facebook page just posted a photo of 4
Plegadis Ibis found on Discovery Drive, Chattanooga at 1230 pm today (8 Oct
13).  Photo appears to show a red iris on two individuals, suggesting
White-faced Ibis.  The location is on the VW property, but I am not sure if it
is open to the public.

Location: Take I-75 to exit 7 (Bonny Oaks) west or Exit 9 for VW drive and go
west and Discovery Drive is off VW Drive.  Lat-long of the location: 35.07504,
-85.1464 (copy paste this into your favorite mapping program like Google Maps).

If I get more info on the location or access, I'll post.  Feel free to join the
Tennessee Birding Facebook page and see the photo and follow at your leisure.

A Glossy Ibis was reported from Brainard Levee in Chattanooga via eBird last
week, but I hadn't heard any details about this sighting other than a brief
description of the bird that didn't mention eye color.

Cheers,
Scott Somershoe