[tn-bird] Re: DDT

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:45:32 -0400 (EDT)

A similar discussion has been going on on several listservs recently
including BirdChat (where we should probably move this one).  For a
view from the other camp (anti-DDT), I refer you to a report mentioned
on BirdChat which was conducted by folks from the US Centers for
Disease Control and the National Institute of Environmental Health
Sciences.  A summary of the report and a link to an online version
of the report can be found at the following website:

www.ourstolenfuture.org/NewScience/oncompounds/ddt/2001longneckeretal.htm

One of the author's of this report has estimated that 15% of HUMAN
infant deaths in the US during the time DDT was being heavily used
MAY, I say MAY, have been due to DDT.  TRUE?  I don't know. But the
fact that the study was conducted by detecting traces of DDT in
preserved human umbilical cord tissue collected during that time is
alarming enough to me.

Remember, the contaminated waters the fish live in is where most
of our drinking water comes from.  Not to mention that some of us
eat the same contaminated fish and ducks that the Bald Eagles and
Peregrine Falcons do.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN