[tn-bird] Cuckoo surprise

  • From: PYRPYRFECT@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 21:51:52 EDT

Sunday afternoon we heard a very loud THUMP from the kitchen door.  Upon
going outside, I found a dazed yellow-billed cuckoo.  We put the bird in the
emergency shoebox to rest up.  After about 15 minutes, we took the box
outside.  When we opened the box, the bird seemed still disoriented and
reluctant to fly so we allowed it another 10 minutes or so.  When we next
opened the box, the cuckoo flew out, still unsteadily.  We then checked the
towel that we keep in the box to see how much cleanup would be necessary.  We
were astounded to find a broken egg!   The shell was not hard, but sort of
like a reptile egg.  Did the stress of the crash and recuperation in the box
cause her to lay early?  Has anyone else seen this?

Van & Nancy Harris
Millington, TN