[TN-Bird] Cross Mtn Olive-sided Flycatcher - Sat May 9

  • From: "Welsh, Christopher J E" <cwelsh@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 May 2015 01:12:45 +0000

I spent some time on Cross Mtn in Campbell County today (Saturday May 9).
Highlight was good look and decent photo of an Olive-sided Flycatcher. It was
perched in dead tree near the first cutover section on the old mining bench.
Saw it on my way out, and then about an hour later on my way back I saw it a
little further out the road near a big silver tank. Did not hear it vocalize,
but medium-sized with nice olive vest.

Plenty of Cerulean Warblers audible on the drive up the mountain. Kentucky
Warblers were surprisingly cooperative, singing and coming out in the open to
be seen. Also one Bay-breasted Warbler seen near where the Olive-sided was.

Saw one Golden-winged Warbler along the edge of wildlife clearing near the
pond/wetland that is half mile or so north of the road intersection at the top
of the mountain. Did not see it sing (not sure I could have heard it if it
had).

Flushed a woodcock near the Cumberland Mtn Trailhead. Lots of Chestnut-sided
Warblers singing away even at mid-day.

Nice morning. Good to be out.

Chris Welsh
Knoxville