[TN-Bird] Cross Mountain, Common Raven

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 03:19:10 +0000

On the TOS walk this morning on the main bench that is birded on Cross
Mountain, Campbell Co., I spotted a Common Raven flying along the ridge top,
with a large food item in its bill.  Only a few other folks got on the bird
before it was gone over the ridge.  This was certainly not expected, but as
we've found in recent years, these birds are likely more regular in the
Cumberland Mountains than previously known (although they are not "common" by
any means) and we just got lucky today.

While birding Sharp's Ridge (Knox Co.) this afternoon between the TOS Board
meeting and the dinner, Chris Welch and I had an Orange-crowned, Cape May, and
Nashville Warbler, among a lot of yellow-rumpeds and other birds we could ID.
I also had a Merlin go zipping over the ridge.

Good birding!
Scot Somershoe

State Ornithologist
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency