[TN-Bird] Cross Creeks NWR - Aug. 2, 2012

  • From: Cynthia Routledge <routledges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 12:48:50 -0500

Cross Creeks NWR
Dover, TN
Stewart County
August 2, 2012

Good afternoon listers...
  Steve and I took the opportunity to venture over to Cross Creeks NWR
yesterday afternoon.  Temps were a balmy 100 degrees but we still managed to
see 49 species.  A true highlight was the opportunity to see all 5 likely
wading birds/herons.  Including 35 GREAT BLUE HERONS, 48 GREAT EGRETS,
2 LITTLE BLUE HERONS, 2 GREEN HERONS AND 1 BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON.   Also in
major abundance were 70 CANADA GEESE, 39 WOODDUCKS, 58 KILLDEER and 34 INDIGO
BUNTINGS.  Fun to see in much smaller numbers were 2 PROTHONOTARY WARBLERS, 1
YELLOW WARBLER AND 4 ORCHARD ORIOLES.  Surprisingly we only heard 3 COMMON
YELLOWTHROATS.   A short distance from Cross Creeks proper we came upon 7
COMMON NIGHTHAWKS hunting for dinner over an agricultural field.
We ended the day at the North Cross Creeks section where we had a picnic dinner
and enjoyed the cooler breeze off the water and the distant calls of a BARRED
OWL.

<")
  ( \
  / |`  Cyndi and Steve Routledge
         Montgomery County
         Clarksville, Tennessee

"When one tugs at a single thing in Nature,
he finds it attached to the rest of the world."
~John Muir