[TN-Bird] Crane festival survey results

  • From: "Aborn, David" <David-Aborn@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TN-birds Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 14:08:25 +0000

With the help of Melinda Welton and the other festival organizers, I wrote a
visitor survey for this year's Hiwassee Crane Festival to learn more about the
attendees, especially given all the publicity this year's festival received,
the presence of the Hooded Crane, and the crane hunting issue from last year.
I have entered the data for all 308 surveys received (thank you to all the
volunteers who helped administer the surveys!!!), and here are some of the
results:

First time attending the festival-Yes = 75%, No = 25%

Which state did you come from-TN = 87%, GA = 7%, OH = 1%, NC = 1%, (the
remaining states were AL, CT, HI [they were in the area already], IA, IN, KY,
MA, VA)

Avg # in party = 3

Did you travel more than 100 miles-Yes = 29%, No = 71%

How did you hear about festival-Newspaper = 46%, Friends/family = 28%, Internet
= 10%, Local Bird Club = 5%, TV = 4%

What most drew you to festival-Sandhill Cranes = 82%, Hooded Crane = 11%,
Speakers/exhibits  = 5%, Whooping Cranes = 1%, Cherokee memorial = 0.3%, Other
wildlife = 0.3%

For those that came from more than 100 miles- Avg # of days spent w/in 100
miles of Birchwood = 1.5 (Range = 1-7 days)

Avg amount spent during trip- More than 100 miles = $191 (Range = $0-$1,000),
W/in 100 miles = $31

What best describes you-Outdoor Enthusiast = 59%, Wildlife Watcher = 18%, Bird
Watcher = 16%, Other = 8%

Avg # of birding/conservation memberships = 1

Possess hunting/fishing license-Yes = 28%, No = 72%

Satisfaction level-Very = 82% , Moderately = 14%, Slightly = 3%, 1 person put
that they were Not At All Satisfied; They said they did not like anything about
the festival

Likely to return next year-Yes = 75% , No = 13%, Maybe = 11%.  30% of those
saying they would not return reported being only moderately or slightly
satisfied

Pay $5 next year-Yes = 73%, No = 20%, Maybe = 7%. About half of the people
stating they would not pay $5 were either moderately or slightly satisfied.

Among the common complaints, 22 people complained about the slow shuttle
service, 6 people commented that there needed to be better parking
instructions, 12 people commented that they thought the cranes would be closer,
2 people said there needed to be more bathrooms, and 2 commented that there
needed to be more kids activities. By far the most common praise was for how
great the volunteers were! (Good job Cyndi!)

As with my previous survey in 2001 , I will be writing these results up and
submitting them to an appropriate journal.

David