[TN-Bird] Cowbirds!

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 15:39:16 EST

Greetings from about four blocks east of the old Cleece's Ferry Landing in
Charlotte Park, West Nashville.
Just now, I have two female cowbirds and one male grackle feeding on my deck
among the mourning doves, juncos and cardinals. There are literally hundreds
of starlings and robins in my yard and the yards of my neighbors.  Even on this
cold and intermittently snowy day, thousands and thousands of birds seem to
be moving through.  Dropped by the old Cleece's Ferry boat ramp on my way home
from a meeting this morning, and the river is up on the road to within about
ten to twelve feet of the turn-in to the parking lot.  Bet by tonight, a car
won't be able to use the lot.  Wonder if that will hamper some of the folks who
seem to "live" in their cars and trucks in that lot?  The water is up to
within about four feet of the pavement in the lot.  I have never know that lot
flood in 25 years (Feb. 14 is my 25th anniversary as a transplanted Nashvillian
from Florida) of life in Charlotte Park, so, if it does, it will be some kind
of record, I think.

Earlier today, the Cooper's hawks, both adults and "Immy," were cruising
around over all these yards looking at the smorgasbord of birds in the yards
below.  Since I had to leave for my meeting, I wasn't here to see any possible
carnage.

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN.