[TN-Bird] Cove Lake SP - Philadelphia Vireo, Great Egrets

  • From: Carole Gobert <cpgobert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tennessee Bird List <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2014 19:41:31 -0400

I had a wonderful few hours of birding at Cove Lake State Park in Campbell
County today though I didn't start until 10:00 am.  One of the first birds I
saw was a Yellow-throated Warbler walking on the fence around the tennis court,
gleaning insects.  I had more killer looks at him (or possibly another) a
couple of hours later in a big pine tree at the foot of the hill down from the
restaurant.  That tree was a gold mine.  It also held a Philadelphia Vireo, a
Prairie Warbler, a Pewee, a Palm Warbler, etc.  But the Yellow-throated warbler
was the most persistent; I must have viewed it half a dozed times as it moved
around.  And while I stood gazing up into the pine tree a Red-shouldered Hawk
showed up and circled right over my head a few times.  Two Great Egrets were
working the lake and an Osprey put on a show.  Just a great day to be there.  I
really must get to Cove Lake more often.

39 species

Mallard  7

Double-crested Cormorant  5

Great Blue Heron (Blue form)  5

Great Egret  2

Green Heron  1

Turkey Vulture  3

Osprey  1

Red-shouldered Hawk  1

Killdeer  3

Ruby-throated Hummingbird  3

Belted Kingfisher  1

Red-bellied Woodpecker  3

Northern Flicker  1

Eastern Wood-Pewee  1

Eastern Phoebe  2

Philadelphia Vireo  1     Blue Jay  7

American Crow  3

Carolina Chickadee  3

Tufted Titmouse  3

White-breasted Nuthatch  1

Carolina Wren  12

Eastern Bluebird  1

Swainson's Thrush  2

American Robin  3

Gray Catbird  3

European Starling  14

Cedar Waxwing  8

Magnolia Warbler  1

Palm Warbler  2

Pine Warbler  1

Yellow-throated Warbler  2      (maybe 3)

Prairie Warbler  1

Eastern Towhee  1

Chipping Sparrow  2

Song Sparrow  1