[TN-Bird] Cove Lake

  • From: Jimi Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2003 23:03:58 -0400

Sunday  7-13-03

Cove Lake State Park (Campbell county , TN)
 is starting to show some signs of dispersing breeding birds with
Cerulean and Black and White Warblers being heard there early this morn.
I still am not able to see well, but my ears are fine, thank God and I am
getting back out in the field some after a couple months of being sick.
 37 species were present this morning with most being heard only. Purple
Martins are around as well as Cliff/ Rough-winged and Barn Swallows. A
single Double-Crested Cormorant was swimming near the fishing pier, the
first seen since late Spring. I did NOT hear the Swainson's Warbler, and
despite my not being able to make as thorough search of the park this
year as I did last year, (where the high count was 5 birds)  I have
concluded that there was only this one Swainsons there this year. I am
glad a lot of people saw this bird at the Spring meeting as it may be a
long time before they are seen here again. We'll keep our fingers crossed
for returns!

Nell Moore
Caryville, TN
N. of Knoxville