[TN-Bird] County Listing

  • From: "Douglas Downs" <douglas_downs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 10:17:28 -0600

Just a thought about the recent discussion of county lists.  Three or four
years back I decided to pick up birding in a serious way.  I also wanted to
focus my energies on my home territory, White County.  Though birded some in
the past, White County was one of the many largely unbirded counties around
the state.  As a result, one of the first things I did was to obtain a 911
map of my county.  These maps are now available in most, if not all,
Tennessee counties and are extremely useful in that they show every public
access road within a given county.  During my first year of serious birding,
I made it my goal to travel at least once on every public access road in
White County.

What an experience!  First, I became aware of the many and diverse habitats
within my home county.  Second, I was exposed to the varied beauties of
nature in a way that few people, even among the locals, would ever have
experienced.  Third, constant viewing and listening enabled me to advance my
birding skills quickly.  And finally, I was able to locate reliable sites
for various species (white-crowned sparrows, loggerhead shrike, and marsh
birds immediately come to mind) in short order.

The project was really quite simple.  I just kept my map in the truck and
tried, as often as possible, to take "the long way home" each day after
work.  It's amazing how much territory you can drive through in an hour a
day.  I also noted any ponds, marshes, or other significant habitat areas on
the map.  By the end of a year, I had at my disposal a thorough and accurate
habitat and birding map of White County, Tennessee.

Add to the map project my association with several very good - and very
patient - birders and I now enjoy my home county - and my birding life - in
ways I could never have imagined.  My goal is now to begin similar mapping
projects in an adjacent county or two.  To any birder, especially those of
us who are new to the art, I recommend this as a possible way to "wade in
and get your feet wet."

Good birding!
Douglas Downs
Sparta, White County, Tennessee