[TN-Bird] Costa Rica recommendation

  • From: Jason Mann <j.mann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <TN-Bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 08:20:44 -0600

Costa Rica
Nov. 24-Dec. 1

After enjoying Richard's Merlin pictures, I scrolled through his Costa Rica
collection.  While slightly off-topic, these beautiful pictures reminded me
of a recent trip.  I have intended to give a big recommendation for Costa
Rica as an ideal introduction to birding in the Neotropics.

With excellent assistance from Chris Sloan and Dev Joslin, last Nov. I
enjoyed a whirlwind self-guided tour of Costa Rica.  I had planned a
leisurely course, but after two slam dunk days totaling 193 species I
decided to go crazy.  I rerouted my course to cover habitats on both slopes
at all elevations from Nicaragua to Panama.  I birded from dawn to dusk,
traveling at night and sleeping in my Jeep.  This was not necessary, but
kind of fun on a grad student budget!

All in all, I enjoyed a beautiful and safe country with friendly people and
lots of amazing mammals, reptiles, and birds.  I rounded out the week with
386 feathered species including 200+ lifers, which was far beyond my
expectations.  I had several near misses though, including the quetzal.
Never a dull moment!

Highlights included:

Jabiru
Great Curassow and lots of tinamous/guans
Both Marbled and Spotted Wood-Quail
Both Ruddy and Buff-fronted Quail-Doves
15 of 16 parrots, including Scarlet Macaw
32 hummingbirds (blow your mind)
Quetzal and other trogons, manakins
Motmots and barbets, puffbirds
All 6 toucans
13 of 13 thrushes
31 Tanagers, euphonias and honeycreepers

Costa Rica is a special place, with good accessibility to many habitats.
Please feel free to email me for more details.

Good birding,

Jason Mann
Nashville, TN

Jason R. Mann