[TN-Bird] Corrected character width: Red bats and birds at Kyker Bottoms, Tellico Lake, etc.

  • From: Leigh Loveday <lkloveday@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 10:21:55 -0800 (PST)

The gorgeous weather in East Tennessee this past weekend got us
out and about...

We birded Kyker Bottoms off Hwy 129S mid day and late yesterday
evening, and saw 3 eastern red bats at 5 pm (cool looking bats,
thanks to Henry Hill?s post alerting us of their presence in the
winter).  Waterfowl of note were 6 Green-winged teals, 10
American widgeons,  4 Northern shovellers,  60 Ring-neck ducks,
and 6 Gadwalls. A Loggerhead shrike & a mocker were patrolling a
field from a fence row near the TWRA barn.  Sparrow viewing from
the parking lots was limited, with white crowned, vesper, field,
& song seen. 1 lone Northern harrier was spotted, as was 1 Red
tailhawk.

Tellico Lake off Hwy 336, Toqua area was visited, and  6 Horned
grebes,  a Sharpie and Cooper?s hawk were seen. Back around
Thanksgiving we questioned if what we saw at the same area were
3 Clark grebes.  After careful study of the Horned grebes, we
conclude that?s what we most likely saw in Nov. as well.  We
humbly acknowledge the folly of our ways (yet we both still
think we saw yellow beaks on them there grebes? revisionist
history or ultra bright sun perhaps).

A walk through the nearby  meadow trail and woods at Fort Loudon

Historic Area yielded a brown creeper. A bold golden crowned
kinglet was seen foraging 8? away on the grass under a cedar
tree showing off that beautiful head stripe.

Also, we went to Hiwassee Wildlife Refuge Saturday afternoon.
About 1,000 Sandhill Cranes were witnessed. Most notable
waterfowl were 2 Redheads, and 4 American widgeons.  We have
gone the previous 2 years, and it?s definitely a smaller group
this year as seen from the viewing platform.  Bad corn crop not
withstanding, that many trumpeting cranes is an awesome sight.
No luck seeing golden or bald eagles (2 bald eagles seen last
yr., and 1 golden the yr. prior).

Robert and Leigh Loveday
Knoxville, TN