[TN-Bird] Cornell staffer response to bird feed Aflatoxin

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "1-A TN-Birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 10:45:45 -0500

TN-Birders:
Ron Harrington on Bristol Virginia contacted the Cornell Feeder Watch
project staff to get their feedback on the toxin problem that is moving thru
birding listservers.  A staff member replied with the following.  Read on
below.
Let's go birding....
Wallace Coffey
Bristol, TN
--------------------------------FORWARD MESSAGE BEGINS----------------

"We are working on a reply to these posts. The research reported is the only
research we are aware of that has looked at this issue, and the researcher
only appears to have tested grains and seed mixes high in corn. There's no
indication that he has tested sunflower seeds. Further, this toxin occurs
widely in
nature, and there's no indication from this research how much is safe.
Consequently, we don't know much about this toxin and its effects, but we
will be
formulating what we can into a response and posting it on our electronic
newsletter. We do know that it is safe to feed birds. Feeder bird
populations have
remained stable or increased since people started feeding them. Cardinals,
the
bird he tested, are expanding their range.

If you are not subscribed to the newsletter, you can sign up by following
the
electronic newsletter link on our home page."

Anne Marie Johnson
Project Assistant