[TN-Bird] Cooper's Hawks Sightings?

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:21:27 EDT

June-July
West TN

This has been an exceptional season for me in detecting Cooper's Hawks in
West TN. In Shelby County, during the last two months, I have recorded Cooper's
inside the city limits of Memphis, Bartlett, Germantown and Collierville. The
last three locations were tracked to nests. In June and so far in July, I have
recorded them in my ramblings in all the counties bordering the Mississippi
River, completing that list this weekend with single birds at Black Bayou in
Lake Co. and a single bird at White Lake Refuge in Dyer Co. The other sightings
have been 2 birds at different locations in Lauderdale Co and a single bird in
Tipton Co. I have also seen these birds this season, in Hardin, McNairy,
Haywood and Henry Counties.

Is it just me or are others seeing more of this species in recent summers. I
know I'm spending just about the same amount of time in the field and in just
about the same areas but this is far more sightings of Cooper's Hawks than any
other summer since I've been keeping records.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN