[TN-Bird] Cooper's Hawk reappears

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:44:00 EST

Greetings to all you overstuffed birders from another one here in the
Charlotte Park area of West Nashville, Davidson County, a few blocks east of
the
Cleece's Ferry Boat Landing on the Cumberland River.  Hope your Thanksgivings
were
all very "full-filling!"
At approximately 6:35 AM today, a Cooper's hawk flew past the side of my
house and through the trees in my back yard and dropped down in the back yard
of
the third house about 300 feet down the line behind mine.  Seconds later, the
bird was up in the air clutching a small "something" in its talons as it flew
in the direction toward the river with its catch.  I THINK maybe this is the
first time I've see any Cooper's since nesting season, so I'm glad to see one
hunting in my area again.  There has always been a family of Cooper's hawks in
this area since the early 1980's when I used to see them on my way to work in
Cockrill Bend--most often in the proximity of Richland Creek as it meanders
along White Bridge Road/Briley Parkway.  When I moved to this house in 1991, I
began to see them in my yard or on occasional flyovers.  I know they MUST nest
somewhere in this part of West Nashville, but I have never been able to hone in
on their exact location which is probably on some of the posted property out
here.

Bossy Mock came to raid the poke berry bush this morning and ignored the
peanut butter.  I'm sure the appetite for PB will return by evening.

The cosmos got frost bitten last night.

On purpose, I have decided to leave the fallen leaves on my deck as ALL my
feeder birds are now picking around in the leaves and apparently finding things
to eat.  I can sit here working with my laptop (perched on a sturdy TV table)
just inside the French doors of my dining area and, literally, have the
cardinals, blue jays, juncos, sparrows, wrens and even the chickadees and
titmice
searching for "goodies" right at my feet.  If the doors weren't there, I could
reach over and pick them up.  It is just awesome to have them so "up close and
personal."

Although I've had my hummingbird feeder up, I've only had one unidentified
hummer lately that I just glimpsed leaving the feeder when I came home
yesterday
from my volunteer work at St. Thomas Hospital ER.  I know it was a hummer,
but it fled so fast that I just couldn't get a "bead" on it except greenish
back
and GONE!  I haven't seen it again.

Must get a refill on left overs from yesterday and try not to overstuff
myself again.

Cheers, prayers and great birding,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN