[TN-Bird] Conservation--what we can learn from our sandhill cranes

  • From: Viclcsw@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, knoxvilletos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2011 07:57:00 -0400 (EDT)

For those interested, my current blog post about KY's proposed sandhill
crane hunt is as much about conservation, in general, as it is about sandhill
cranes.  There is much to learn from the current hunting controversy over
sandhill cranes--about how we approach decisions, about the inclusion of all
 parties, and most of all about wildlife stewardship.

I am struck by the energy that this controversy is expending, simply
because we have a system in place that excludes the majority of citizens and
their wishes until the last hour--a comment period.  There has to be a  better
way to make decisions about new hunting proposals that will bring all
conservation parties together, so that we can keep wildlife at the center of
our
decisions, and move on to tackle the many challenging issues that threaten
our environment and our wildlife in today's world.

_http://vickiehenderson.blogspot.com/2011/07/kentuckys-sandhill-crane-hunt-p
roposal.html_
(http://vickiehenderson.blogspot.com/2011/07/kentuckys-sandhill-crane-hunt-proposal.html)

Vickie Henderson