[TN-Bird] Connecticut Warbler- Cove Lake State Park, Campbell County, TN

  • From: James M Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 13:33:38 -0400

To my delight, I found a Connecticut Warbler at Cove Lake State Park in
Campbell County, TN this morning. (North of Knoxville off I 75)  The bird
was foraging in a thicket of briars and Privet Hedge on the short loop
back trail.
I watched it from apx.  12-15 ft away and closer with excellent lighting
on the back trail .  First yearbird probably, nice wide (complete)  eye
ring. The identity was totally unmistakable, especially when it WALKED
out in front of me in plain view as I was sitting down watching it!
Returned to try to photograph it, but the rangers were back in there with
their vehicles tearing down a beaver lodge nearby.. The bird was not
found near noon.. May try again late this evening and will update.
Other species of Warblers were scarce this morning and were Magnolia,
Black Throated Green and many Yellow-Rumps.  A Blue-Headed Vireo was
singing.

Other arrivals at the lake this morning were Gadwall and Coot, and
Swamp Sparrows.

Nell Moore
Caryville, TN