[TN-Bird] Concentration at Pace Point

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 18:47:29 EST

Dec. 7-8, 2002
Pace Point Area
Henry - Benton Co. TN

The concentration of waterfowl, grebes and gulls in the Big Sandy reach is
mind boggling. Evidently the extreme change in water temps has caused a fish
kill. Very small shad minnows are washing up on the shores and the birds are
spread all across this area, alula to alula.

I arrived early on Saturday and had ducks stacked in the cove just before you
reach the point. Over 300 Common Goldeneye were seen in one continuos line
with more in every quarter. In the next two days I had 21 species of
waterfowl that included; a single Ross's Goose, all three mergansers and on
Sunday, Mike Todd, Don Manning and I had great looks at a single adult female
Long-tailed Duck a.k.a. Oldsquaw. A great find but a species I already had on
my Year List.

Big numbers of Horned and Pied Grebes got my hopes up for a Red-necked but
scanning for two days didn't pay off. Common Loon numbers were down to around
50 birds and most had moved out to deeper water. Bald Eagles were frequently
seen harassing groups of ducks and gulls. Sharp-shinned and Cooper's were
seen hunting the area along with Red-tailed, Red-shouldered and Harriers.

In the gull category, the rewards were few considering the number I looked at
and I shall kick myself for a lapse that possibly caused me to miss a great
year bird. Just prior to being joined by the Nashville group Saturday, I
found my first ever 2nd year Lesser Black-backed Gull. I have seen all the
other ages of this species at Pace but never a second year. While studying
this bird another gull caught my attention as it bathed farther out from the
LBB. My interest was mainly on the LBB and I should have stayed on the 2nd
bird because on later thought it was probably the bird of the weekend. We
looked for this gull all morning long on Sunday but could not even find the
Lesser Black-backed Gulls. When Casey and friends arrived Saturday morning, I
showed them the 2nd year LBB and then saw a 1st year LBB land in the large
group. Everyone, I think, got satisfying looks at this classic immature.

I don't know how long this phenomena will last but I highly recommend getting
over to the Big Sandy "bonanza of birds" if you can get away.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA
Bartlett Tenn.