[TN-Bird] Common Redpoll in Obion County

  • From: Mark Greene <greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 13:12:02 -0800 (PST)

January 17, 2013
Beaver Arm Road
Obion County

I was working on Beaver Arm Road in the extreme southwest corner of Obion
County this afternoon when I encountered a very large flock of finches feeding
on the ground beside the road. I stopped and got my binoculars out and starting
scanning through the flock. The flock contained over 75 birds, most of which
were House Finches. I did see a few American Goldfinches in the flock and at
least 2 Purple Finches. Several times while viewing the flock, a vehicle would
approach and flush the birds into nearby trees. They would then settle back
down to the ground and continue feeding. After a few minutes another flock of
50-60 birds flew in from some nearby trees and settled near the first flock.
This flock contained mostly Purple Finches, a few American Goldfinches, and
several Pine Siskins. After scanning through this flock for a few minutes I
came upon a male Common Redpoll. It was a small, stocky finch, smaller than the
House Finches & Purple Finches
 around it; also had a smaller bill that was yellowish in color. There was a
small, black patch on the face at the base of the bill. It had a red cap and a
rosy wash on the breast. The sides of the breast and sides were heavily
streaked. A car came by and flushed all the birds and after a few minutes they
all settled back down. I located the Redpoll again. This time further away.
After about 2-3 minutes a tractoe came down the road and flushed everything.
Half the flock went into a yard on the west side of the road and the other half
flew towards the treeline to the east. Beaver Arm Road in in the extreme
southwest corner of Obion County. It connects Hwy. 78 and South Bluff Road. The
address nearest where I saw the bird was 8606 Beaver Arm Road. I did not see
any feeders in the area but the birds were feeding along the edge of the road
and drinking and bathing in puddles along the sides of the road. This was my
first Common Redpoll for Tennessee!

Lake County

There are flooded fields everywhere and gulls everywhere. I wish I would have
had more time to scan the fields for gulls. There were also large groups of
blackbirds in several of the fields and I saw Brewer's Blackbirds in 2
different locations.

Dyer County

On Hwy 412, just east of Dyersburg, and just north of the jct. with Hwy 104 I
had a light-morph Rough-legged Hawk hovering over the median. I slowed down as
I passed under the bird and easily saw the black belly band and the dark
axillaries. On Hwy 78, just north of Bogota, a Merlin flew across the highway
in front of me and soared around over an open field for a couple of minutes on
the west side of the highway before continuing west.

Gibson County

On a farm pond, just east of the Dyer County line on Hwy 104, there were 18
Canvasbacks, 6 Redheads, 4 Lesser Scaup, a Ring-necked Duck, and an American
Coot.

Good birding!

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN